Tuesday, April 20, 2010

numb all over

last patient of a 30 day pediatric rotation (pediatrics aka army of walking germ bombs waiting to sneeze and cough all over you while their overly aggressive parents scream and demand the best treatment that they see on tv)

mother runs frantically out of the room she was placed in and grabs me. "ive been waiting 5 minutes!"
"ma'am you are next, just wait for us to be done with the other patient and we will be with you in a moment"

she starts flipping out and goes back into the room.
so we finish up the patient and walk in, "my son is numb all over!!! he has no feelings anywhere!"
we look at the mother, look at the son (who is 19 yrs old and just laying there)
"when did this start "(feeling a bit nervous thinking of things that can cause such neurological issues)
"today, he was fine in the morning and now hes numb, and hes slow and confused"
i look at the son, and excuse myself from the room. come back with a bag of doritos and offer it to him while the pediatrician is doing a physical exam. kid takes a handful, i look at the mother and tell her "next time his eyes are bloodshot you might want to ask him how much he smoked up before you bring him to the doctors office".

7 comments:

  1. What are you talking about? I'm sure he had a prescription for that pot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahhaha this is fantastic. I just came across your blog on 20SB and I truly laughed out loud at your title. As the daughter of a doc and a nurse practitioner student myself, "Guaiac Positive" really hits home. I'm impressed you have just started recently and have made such an effort to write frequently. Keep up the good work, you're absolutely hysterical. -Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Sophie, thanks for enjoying the posts, honestly the only thing that keeps me coming back to work is how ridiclous my patients are, i bet youre going to get a bunch of your own, would love to hear em

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow. That's all I can say. Seriously? Some people are so selectively blind. They only see what they want to see.

    Thanks for sharing this story! It made me laugh so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. effin' ahmazing! lol and we thought the doc's office was no fun,ha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also found you because of the 20SB. Your posts are great! I work in oral surgery, so it isn't too crazy, just a great number of the patients are. :D

    ReplyDelete